Sunday, November 4, 2007

Thai Coconut Soup with Tofu and Mushrooms



Thanks to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
Today I made Thai Coconut Soup with Tofu and Mushrooms or ต้มยำเต้าหู้ (เห็ด) 1st time

Ingredients
  1. 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used sweetened)
  2. 2 tsp. minced ginger
  3. 2 tsp. grated lime zest
  4. 2 tsp. dried lemongrass (I used fresh)
  5. 1 red bell pepper, sliced into matchstick-sized strips (reserve some for garnish)
  6. 3 cups mild vegetable stock (I used chicken)
  7. 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste, depending on desired hotness
  8. 1 package (12-14 ounces) extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes (not silken tofu)
  9. 15 ounces canned straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed (I used fresh)
  10. 2 tsp. vegan sugar or other sweetener (I used regular)
  11. 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  12. Salt to taste
  13. Fresh lime juice to taste
  14. Grated lime peel, for garnish
Preparation

Combine lime zest, lemongrass, ginger, and coconut milk with stock in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Add the curry paste a half-teaspoon at a time, stirring well to combine and tasting as you go to make sure you don't make it too spicy. Stir in the tofu, mushrooms, sugar, soy sauce, and salt, to taste. Simmer for about 10 more minutes. Add lime juice (I used the juice of half a lime) and serve over rice, garnished with red pepper strips and grated lime peel, with extra lime on the side.

I was really enjoy with this menu.

No comments: